Flamengo win Brazilian Serie A

Flamengo have won the 2009 Brazilian championship in dramatic fashion as the Rio de Janeiro needed to come back from behind to beat Gremio 2-1 and defend their top spot on the final day of the season.

Gremio initially appeared to ruin Flamengo s party at Roberson put the away side in the lead on 21 minutes.

But David equalised eight minutes later and Ronaldo Angelim s goal for 2-1 in the 69th minute was enough for Flamengo to clinch the trophy.

It is Flamengo s fifth national title, and their first since last winning the championship in 1992.

Internacional and Sao Paulo, who both needed Flamengo to drop points, won their home games over Santo Andre and Sport Recife respectively. Internacional closed their season with a 4-1 win, while Sao Paulo did so wit…

Beckham wants a Man United showdown

(GSM) Former Manchester United star David Beckham is hoping Milan draw the 2008 Champions League winners during the draw to be held in Nyon on Friday.

If Beckham has his way, then the Los Angeles Galaxy player midfielder will face his old side for the first time since leaving for Real Madrid in 2003.

The 34-year-old, who will move to the San Siro on loan for the remainder of the 2009-10 season when the transfer window reopens next month, told Gazzetta dello Sport that he would relish a return to Old Trafford with his adopted Italian club.

The rules of the draw mean that United are one of six sides which Milan could be paired with in Nyon.

I would really like to face my former team in the next round, said Beckham.

Since I left (United) in 2003,…

Pedro finally settled at Chelsea after overcoming “difficult year”

Chelsea s Pedro Rodriguez is commanding a starting place on merit.

Chelsea forward Pedro Rodriguez recently played down rumours linking him away from Stamford Bridge, a vast contrast from how he would have been feeling this time last year.

The Spanish international has finally settled with the Blues under new manager Antonio Conte. But it was a different story in his debut campaign.

Surprise move to Chelsea couldn’t have started worse

Pedro’s move from childhood club Barcelona to Chelsea shocked most given how contrasting his skill-set seemed to be for his new side, let alone he looked destined to spend the rest of his career as a one-club man. The Spaniard was not only a product of the Catalan outfit’s academy, but a fan-favourite and well-liked i…

Pepe grateful for Portugal opportunities after netting in 100th game

Pepe spoke of his appreciation at the chance to represent his county after celebrating his 100th Portugal appearance with an equalising goal in a 1-1 draw against Croatia.

The veteran centre-back nodded in Pizzi s cross in the 32nd minute of the friendly contest at the Estadio Algarve to cancel out Ivan Perisic s well-hit opener.

It was the ideal way for the 35-year-old to celebrate his landmark cap and the former Real Madrid defender spoke of his joy at pulling on the Portugal jersey.

For me, representing the national team is always important, the Euro 2016 winner said in quotes reported by O Jogo.

I want to do my best to help the country. The team was fine, we have many young players who want to demonstrate their value. The team is be to congratulated…

PSG 2-0 Real Sociedad: What Were The Main Talking Points As Kylian Mbappe Drags The French Giants To A First-Leg Advantage?

Putting in a professional performance on Wednesday night, PSG claimed a first-leg Champions League advantage as they secured a 2-0 victory against Spanish outfit Real Sociedad.

While Luis Enrique’s side might have been largely frustrated throughout the first-half, the French icons came flying out of the traps after returning from the interval.

With attacking talisman Kylian Mbappe eventually breaching Sociedad’s defence 13 minutes after the break, PSG were a more than worthy winner on home soil.

Heading out to Spain in a fortnight with a 2-0 aggregate lead as Bradley Barcola doubled PSG’s buffer 12 minutes after Mbappe’s opener, Enrique’s superstar squad certainly sit firmly in the driving seat to punch a quarter-final ticket next month.

Failin…

League Cup: Manchester City 3 Sunderland 1

Manuel Pellegrini lifted his first major trophy with Manchester City in an enthralling 3-1 League Cup final victory over Sunderland.

The Chilean was brought to the club with the remit of winning silverware and, though City were behind at the break, he duly delivered at Wembley on Sunday thanks to wonder-goals from Yaya Toure and Samir Nasri, with Jesus Navas adding the third.

Gus Poyet s men played their part in an exhilarating contest and Fabio Borini s superb opener left City fans fearing more Wembley disappointment following the 1-0 defeat to Wigan Athletic in May s FA Cup final.

But, ultimately, City lived up to the favourites tag to leave their hopes of a quadruple still on course, though they will have to overcome a 2-0 deficit against Barcelona in their UEFA Cha…

AFC Champions League Wrap: Mariners overcome Sanfrecce, Seoul held

Mile Sterjovski s quickfire brace saw Central Coast Mariners come from behind to beat Sanfrecce Hiroshima 2-1 in the AFC Champions League.

The reigning J.League champions moved ahead on 21 minutes at the Bluetongue Central Coast Stadium, thanks to Tsukasa Shiotani s strike.

That goal was followed by the Sanfrecce players paying homage to the victims of the 2011 Japan tsunami with Tuesday marking the third anniversary of the disaster by laying down to spell out 3-11, the date of the tragedy.

Sanfrecce were unable to build on the advantage, however, as Sterjovski levelled almost immediately from kick-off in the 23rd minute, before following up nine minutes later with what proved to be the winner.

The result leaves Sanfrecce winless after two matches in Group F, whi…

Marcos Alonso set for new Chelsea deal

In an interview with AS, Chelsea defender Marcos Alonso has claimed that he has been offered a contract extension with the Blues. His current deal is set to run until 2021, although the club appear to be very eager to keep hold of him for the foreseeable future. Chelsea signed the 27 year old back in 2016 in a deal believed to be worth around €24 million, and over the course of the last two years he s certainly been able to prove why they forked out so much money for him.

It s no secret that Alonso is a controversial figure in football and that ll likely never change, but at the very least, he s still an exceptional player. Perhaps as time goes on he ll pick up a move to an even bigger club, although based on what he s saying here, he seems fairly happy at Stamford Bridge an…

Porto exercise option to sign Atletico Madrid’s Oliver Torres

The Portuguese giants their decision to activate the buy-out clause in Oliver Torres’ loan deal with .

The midfielder has been brimming for the Dragons this season, scoring two goals and grabbing an assist in 18 league appearances for FC Porto this season and the club management has decided to take the 22-year-old from the Spanish club on permanent basis.

A deal worth €20 million will go through in the summer, once Torres’ loan spell is officially ended.

Oliver Torres joined Atletico Madrid back in 2014 but has spent most of his time away from Vicente Calderon playing on loan at Villarreal before being forwarded to for the second season running.

The Spanish midfielder’s transfer will be the second biggest deal in the history of the entire Portu…

Nagelsmann looking to free Gnabry as Bayern face Dynamo Kiev

Julian Nagelsmann hailed Serge Gnabry s unique ability as Bayern Munich prepare to face Dynamo Kiev in Wednesday s Champions League clash.

Bayern crushed Barcelona 3-0 in their Group E opener and have won the most games (20), while scoring the most goals (73) across the last three Champions League campaigns.

Robert Lewandowski has been directly involved in 27 goals in his last 17 appearances in the competition and has ended on the winning side in all 17 games, the joint-longest run of wins by a player in the tournament s history.

However, Nagelsmann preferred to focus on Gnabry, who has scored three and assisted twice this term, ahead of the visit of Dynamo.

I didn t do anything with [Gnabry] consciously and didn t have that many conversations, Nagelsman…